Search This Blog

Friday 3 February 2012

A healthy diet, and a healthy bank account

-By Karen

Hello!

Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Lunar New Year! May the Dragon Year shower you and your loved ones with blessings of luck and good health, and challenges that will only strengthen you. I would like to wish all Trimester 3 students the best of luck in the upcoming exams, and a smooth transition for students commencing in Trimester 1, 2012.

I’m sure everyone agrees that studying at university isn’t exactly a bed of roses. Most of us would be living away from home (Yay for independence!), and that means doing everything on our own... Including feeding our tummies… Do you survive on take-away meals? Do you suffer from ‘mageirocophobia’ also known as the fear of cooking?

I do agree that cooking can be a task at times and takeaways offer a quick and easy solution to satisfying one’s hunger. But in my opinion, nothing beats the taste of meals prepared and cooked at home. Not to mention, the extra health benefits that come with preparing your own meals. Cooking isn’t all that difficult and you don’t have to be a MasterChef to be able to create something healthy and delicious.

Now I’m not suggesting that I’m an expert in the kitchen. In fact, I only learned how to cook after coming to Australia! Over the past four years, I guess I’ve learned a thing or two about grocery shopping and preparing my meals at home which I will share with you in this post and I hope you’ll find them useful too.

1.       Plan your meals
This gives you an idea of what to get and what not to get the next time you visit the grocer. I do try to eat at home at least 4-5 days during the week. This does not mean I will have to cook on all the days but it helps me work out how much of groceries I’ll need to get. Check what you have left in the fridge and pantry that needs to be used up soon.

2.       Make a list
Believe me, this works! I used to overspend on my groceries and a lot of them would often end up in the bins, so my housemate taught me to “categorize/ organize my groceries” and I’ve never looked back since! Basically you make a list of items you’re after under appropriate categories, for eg. Veggies, butcher, Asian grocer, etc. This way, you wouldn’t lose track and you’ll only spend on items you need.

3.       Set a budget
Set a weekly budget for your groceries and stick to it! Shop for the items on your list first before all else. Visit your local farmer’s market for the freshest produce and they often cost less too.

4.       Never shop on an empty stomach
This might sound silly and funny but this tip prevents you from “over” shopping. It helps you to keep focused on your grocery list. I thought this was a strange thing to do but to a certain extent, I do agree with it.

These are some pointers I live by from week to week, and they have been merciful to my bank account as well as my waistline. Eating healthy shouldn’t feel like a task/ challenge and not all healthy things are expensive. Make use of Google to search for easy and budget friendly recipes. There are loads of foodie blogs out there and a lot of these ingredients are basic items you’ll find in your pantry.  Bring out the MasterChef in you and have fun in the kitchen! 

20 comments:

  1. Karen, your blog is informative as well as interesting! I would like to add that I was never interested in cooking until I was forced to be interested in it after I came overseas. If I am interested in a particular recipe, I watch how it is being done on you-tube and then try in the kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan! Thanks for the comments!! I agree with you on you-tubing recipes. Having the recipes on paper/ screen is one thing, but putting them into action is a totally different scenario. Love how everything is available on Google these days =D

      Delete
  2. i'm a pro at cooking micro wave food....lol!!! i had to start somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina! Definitely a great start!! I'm sure you're on your way to stepping it up and igniting the Masterchef in you =) Google up one of favourite dishes and try re-creating it. I remember emailing my mom for the first dish I cooked. It didn't taste the same but it was still an achievement. Update me on your experiences. Would love to hear about it and I'm sure others would too =D Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Rice, pasta, lentils, toast & chocolate - the five food groups!Oh, & coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your food groups Jo...Mine are pretty much the same. I learnt cooking only after living away from home and now I enjoy it so much. Thanks Youtube and supercook.com...that's my lifesaver.

      Delete
    2. Definitely great variety of food groups you got there Jo! What I love is that you can create loads of freezer-friendly dishes with these items. And coffee & chocolate are definitely on my list of favourites =p

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen
    Agreed, eating out can really eat into your budget. I love the tips especially not shopping on an empty stomach. I found you end up spending more at a food court for one meal than it would have cost you to prepare three at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa! Well said! Although I gotta admit that I still over shop at times even on a non-empty stomach.. I have a weakness for sugary things and I tend to "reward" myself after I behaved myself while grocery shopping. Lol!

      Delete
  5. I agree about not shopping when hungry - that's when everything looks sooo good! I now shop with lists and a set budget and I know it helps so much. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi! Thanks for the comments! And couldn't agree with you more that everything looks EXTRA good when you're hungry. Lol! When my friend first suggested this tip, I thought it was really strange but I still gave it a shot anyway. Definitely made my bank account look a little bit more "healthy" at times =)

      Delete
  6. My usual way to shop is by buying anything that is on special. Then jumping online to see what recipes I can come up with. A very interesting way to shop and save some money. Thanks to all the blogs and cooking websites that make life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!! That's great advice!! Certainly an interesting way to shop. It's like having a "Mystery Box Challenge" after every grocery shopping. Will definitely take your tip on board and try it out. Thanks!!

      Delete
  7. haha, yeah I definitely don't let myself grocery shop when hungry, that's just plain dangerous xD
    I still live at home, but I pack my lunch for uni, and although it may have earned me some funny looks it has certainly helped my dear bank account to slowly recover from having Westfield so close to the Waterfront campus..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Living at home is a bonus, but I'm not sure about having Westfield too close to the campus. Lol! And don't worry about the funny looks. I used to pack my lunch for uni too and they satisfy and taste just as good as a $6-8 crusty focaccia =)

      Delete
    2. At least there's the kitchen available to DUSA members, Amanda. :-)
      The microwave and sandwich press at Waterfont certainly helped me during Winter.
      With that said, I don't know how people can be full on a cup of soup...
      ...Oh well. :-P

      Karen, that's true; it also means that you know what you're eating. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for all the lovely comments and tips! I just got back from overseas, hence the extreme delay in replies. Much apologies!! Hope everyone's been keeping well and best wishes to those preparing for the upcoming exams =D Remember to rest well and keep healthy. A healthy lifestyle = a healthy mind = "healthy" results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! It's taken me a long time to figure out the kitchen isn't actually my enemy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Share! Some really valuable information here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Look forward to reading more of your articles. Voted up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always take healthy and balanced diet for your good health and fitness.
    Include all necessary foods elements such vitamins, protein, fiber, carbohydrates, calcium, iron, and some healthy fat in your diet to make it more healthy and balanced.


    Rutherford kickboxing

    ReplyDelete