Search This Blog

Monday 27 February 2012

Friends, fun and freebies – O’Week at Deakin Uni

-By Tenille

We’re all new to Deakin at some point, so why not make the most of it?

Orientation week (known to most as O’Week) is the week before classes start and was no doubt my favourite week of first year. It’s a time to get to know everything about Deakin that you want to know. Explore the campuses, meet some new people, relax and have some fun before you start attending classes.

The best part about it is you can do as little or as much as you want, although I’d highly recommend that you head to as many things as you can. Attend all the events hosted by DUSA (Deakin’s Student Association) such as the always-exciting Mystery Bus Tour, or catch a free movie or anything else that takes your fancy. All these events are listed on your itinerary. It’s a great way to get into the crowd at Uni and make some life long friends as well as having a few tales to tell in the future.

Things can be a little tight at Uni so why not check out the awesome Market Day at your campus and pick up some great giveaways? Who doesn’t love some free stuff? This was my favourite day from O’week in my first year because I got to collect many things from clubs and stalls, bagged some free iced coffee and caught up with some of my new friends. I went home that day with a little more than I expected, but hey it was an awesome time. It also offers you the opportunity to join some fantastic social clubs and associations that you can hang out with over the year.

Being new to it all I wasn’t quite sure what Uni life was going to be like, so I headed to as many seminars during O’week as I could. They will help you set up your whole year in the space of one wicked week. Take advantage of free seminars including things like budgeting and time management, and just trust me this will make your life so much easier and stress free at Uni. I learnt many ways to save and use my money so that I could do other things such as attend social events and participate in Uni sport.

Most of all O’week for me and most Uni students is about having a bit of fun and taking advantage of the time to celebrate heading to Uni. So I hope you all participate and have a blast!

Stay classy,
Tenille

6 comments:

  1. Cool pst tenille, true we have to make the most of our time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aretha. We all only go through this once, so it is best that we do make the most of our time and enjoy ourselves! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the free stuff too! Great post Tenille.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always say the best things in life are free, and these days prove it! Thanks Jodi!

      Delete
  3. It was fun to spend half a day in there to get in touch with someone you know in different clubs during the O-week. I actually love that kind of atmosphere and did not miss a year since I came to Deakin in 2009.

    ReplyDelete